Hi everybody it’s Morgan from TMDHosting Genius Support Team. Today I have decided to shed some light on a topic that has concerned many of you – when a webmaster should consider upgrading the hosting plan for his website. I will try to explain the advantages and disadvantages of the most commonly used hosting plans as well as give you some tips when you should upgrade.
Surprised or not first comes the shared hosting. This is the most commonly used hosting plan. Why? Well maybe because it offers the environment needed to build your website in a very affordable price. This solution is perfect for low traffic websites like personal blogs. When using shared hosting plan, your website shares resources with other websites hosted on the same server. Therefore certain limitations are applied to prevent single user on the server allocating all server resources. If your website is evolving in some point it will outgrow the shared hosting environment. The easiest way to determine whether or not the site requires more resources is to check the stats for your website. These statistics are available for all TMDHosting clients under the Logs section in cPanel. I would personally recommend you frequently checking the stats under – Resource Usage, AwStats and Bandwidth.
The reasons for high resource usage can be caused due to process requiring more time to complete, poorly optimized website or high access rate. In the first two scenarios it is recommended to review the site code and database and optimize them if possible. If the site is already optimized, the next logical step is to consider service that will provide sufficient resources to run your website.
In the hosting industry, VPS stands for Virtual Private Server. Basically a single server is partitioned as multiple servers. This is the middle step between shared hosting and dedicated servers. Each server can be independently configured and rebooted. Here are the benefits of the VPS hosting plan:
- More flexibility when it comes to server optimization
- More server resources compared to shared hosting plan
- Installation of additional packages if needed. (you can always count TMDHosting Genius Support Team for assistance on that matter)
- Scalable resources – you can change your VPS hosting plan without any downtime for your site, whenever you want to
- Full control of your server
- Generate your own backups
Well the dedicated server is basically a server that is dedicated for your business only. This type of hosting assures maximum reliability and performance. The main benefits of the dedicated server are:
- Better performance of your website
- Ability to handle more traffic
- All server resources are dedicated for your website only
- You can install heavier software that has higher server requirements
- More Disk space
- Add more disk storage. SSD hard drive for example.
- Custom changes to the server environment
- Generate your own backups
Before making the next move…
Here are the things that you should consider before upgrading:
- Server requirements
- Plans to grow
Of course both VPS and dedicated servers are more expensive than the shared hosting, but each comes with its own benefits. Don’t wait for your website to outgrow the shared hosting and plan ahead. Put your site visitors in first place and what is best for them. This should help with your decision.
If you have any questions or concerns you can always contact TMDHosting team by live chat or give us a call at 1-888-771-5990.