We are happy to announce that the new WordPress 3.9 Beta 1 has been just released and you can start experimenting with it. The official release of the stable version of WordPress 3.9 is being scheduled for the beginning of the next month but now you can take a sneak peak of the new features which would become available shortly.
Here are some of the new features available in the WordPress 3.9 Beta 1:
- New updated TinyMCE. The long waited clean paste feature would be now available in the newest version of TinyMCE. This would end the horrible results when pasting formatted text from Microsoft Word for example.
- New widget management feature called “The Customizer”. It allows you to preview any changes that you might perform to your widgets without affecting your current website layout.
- The Galleries now receive a live preview in the editor. This will make it easier to edit them before officially publish your galleries.
- You can now Drag-and-Drop images to your editor to upload them.
- There arе improvements in the way we edit images in WordPress. Now it is a lot easier to make changes to an image after you insert it into a post
- New audio/video playlists.
There are lot’s of improvement under the hood of which the WordPress developers should be aware. Here are some of them:
- The load process in WordPress multisite has been rewritten.
- The base version is now MySQL Improved (mysqli). So it is recommended to review your old plugins if they will be fully compatible.
- The Autosave has been annouced as refactored.
- There are lots of library updates. Here are the most important ones, Backbone 1.1 and Underscore 1.6, Also Masonry 3 and PHPMailer, Plupload and TinyMCE
Last but not least please, note that this is beta 1 should not be considered as stable release and it is still in development, so we don’t recommend you run it on a production site.