WordPress became the most popular content management system (CMS) due to it’s ease of use and the shear number of plugins with which everyone can create their own website.
However popularity and ease of use comes at a price and the most common issue with most of the WordPress websites is that they are not fully optimized and this results on their overall productivity. Most of those optimizations can be performed by additional custom development but in case you are not expert in this area or you do not want to hire third party developers this plugin might be just what you need.
The plugin in the todays article is named WordPress Social Sharing Optimization (WPSSO) and can be downloaded from the following url: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wpsso
What this plugin does is to add special HTML meta tags to the head section of your WordPress website with which it will improve your Google Search results and ranking and sharing on Facebook, Google+, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, StumbleUpon, Tumblr and other social websites.
Here is a short summary of most of it’s features:
- Adds Facebook / Google+ / LinkedIn / etc. Open Graph, Pinterest Rich Pin, and Twitter Card meta tags.
- Configurable image sizes and content descriptions for different contexts.
- Configurable contact fields for author meta tags and user profile pages.
- Integrates with 3rd party plugins and services for additional image, video, product, and content information
Here are the installation instructions for this WordPress plugin:
- Go to the wp-admin/ section of your website
- Select the Plugins menu item
- Select the Add New sub-menu item
- In the Search box, enter “WPSSO”
- Click the Search Plugins button
- Click the Install Now link for “WPSSO”
- Click the Activate Plugin link
This is what you will be displayed with when the plugin is installed:
Once installed and activated, the WPSSO plugin should start adding all the essential meta tags to your webpages immediately. However it gives you the opportunity to enter your own site title, description etc which will override the default ones of your WordPress website.
Note that this plugin has a paid version which has even greater functionality and I would strongly recommend you to check it out.
To sums it up here are the links mentioned in the this post:
WPSSO plugin url: http://wordpress.org/plugins/wpsso/
TMDHosting WordPress package: http://www.tmdhosting.com/wordpress-hosting.html
TMDHosting plugin installation tutorial:http://www.tmdhosting.com/tutorials/wordpress/wordpress-plugin-installaton.html